Tuesday, August 2, 2011

So should I...?

So my daughter can't put the new Jaycee Dugard: A Stolen Life book down. She describes it as unbearably heartbreaking and scary at the same time. Hope this isn't a spoiler but Jaycee is tasered and then kidnapped and the rest is like a nightmare from hell. I was actually questioning my parental skills. Does a responsible parent let a 13 year-old read such a frightening book? I think the answer is, "Yes." Today's books and YA lit are so deep and realistic, the Judy Blume days are far behind us and kids want to know what's going on out there? How can they protect themselves and are there really people out there who feel like I do? I'm one of those annoying people who say, "As long as they're reading I'm okay with it.." Now I'm trying to decide if I have the nerve to even pick the book up myself. My daughter was crying, she was so moved by Jaycee's story, but as a mom....I'm flashing back to my experience reading Angela's Ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment