Monday, August 1, 2011

13 Reasons Why I Loved This Book

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher actually rocked! I'm an adult, so what gives? This book is about a subject that touches people all of the time. The subject is suicide. Now you may say, "I don't want to read a book about suicide, it's depressing, it's about teens, this doesn't concern me, not in my house...." However, with the state of technology you can believe that it's a subject which should be addressed and Jay Asher does it in a way we can all relate to. Without spoiling the story, I will just say the protagonist Clay receives a mysterious package of tapes. Naturally, he is curious and is devastated to hear the voice of his classmate, Hannah, who has taken her own life. Through a series of maps and stories Clay is forced to piece together his role in her death. Here are my 13 reasons why I loved this book:
1. I couldn't put it down, it functioned like a mystery that needed to unfold.
2. Clay was such a gentle character, I actually felt his pain.
3. The eloquence of Hannah to admit the truth.
4. How brave and yet cowardly Hannah actually was.
5. I could understand how easy it is for a person to sink to that level in this day and age.
6. Bullying is a strong overtone and it's important it today's society.
7. Happiness is not about looks or money in a teens life.
8. It will make an amazing movie (if cast correctly...unlike the Hunger Games)
9. Teens and adults alike cannot put this book down, it's a great read for moms and daughters.
10.The book is not overpoweringly long, so a non-reader will be successful.
11.A great first novel.
12.My daughter actually seemed interested.

13. A novel which moves away from the vampire genre. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment